Mobility Programmes

Visa and Insurance


Students from EU, EEA and Switzerland

National students from European Union (EU) countries, European Economic Area/EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) and Switzerland have the right to live in the national territory for a period up to 3 months without other conditions and/or formalities beyond having a valid identity card or passport.
However, if their stay is longer than 3 months, they must formalize their right of residence within 30 days after the three-month stay in the country. For more information check the Foreigner’s Service (SEF – Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras) website.

Third countries students

In order to enter into Portuguese territory all foreign citizens must:

  • Hold a travel document valid for at least three months after the duration of the expected stay, except if it is a re-entry of a foreign citizen who resides in the Country.
  • Hold a valid visa which is adequate to the purpose of the visit. Such visa must be requested at a Portuguese diplomatic mission or permanent consular post abroad.
  • Hold sufficient subsistence means for the period of stay.
  • Not being subject to any alert issued in SEF’s Integrated Information System or in Schengen Information System.
Upon arrival, it is important to highlight that foreign students entering Portugal through a non-controlled border (whose passports are not stamped in Portugal) need to contact the Foreigners’ Services (SEF - Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras), within 3 days of their arrival, in order to report their entrance in the country. After this three-day-period, they will be charged a fine. Furthermore, upon arrival these students should request a residence permit.
To deal with issues related to your documents in Portugal, you may visit the customer service bureaus of the Immigration and Borders Service (SEF), located in all Regional Directorates, Delegations or Departments of your area of residence.

SEF has a pre-booking system whereby your appointment for any customer service bureau can be booked either by telephone or on line. Please visit the website or contact the international Relations Office.

Health Insurance

Students from the European Union (EU) countries and the European Economic Area (EEA) are covered by the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which entitles them to have access to the national social security system as any Portuguese citizen. In order to have access to this scheme, students should contact their own Social Security Office to have the respective card issued, before arriving in Portugal.

Students coming from outside the EU or EEA should make sure that they are properly insured before arrival. In particular, Brazilian students, covered by their own national social security system, should obtain the PB4 form at the competent institution in Brazil in order to benefit from the Portuguese health care coverage, during their stay among us.

Upon arrival, for enrollment purposes at ISCTE-IUL, all students will be requested to present insurance proof.

In addition, all students may benefit from a school insurance, which covers all accidents that occur at the University’s premises, outside the facilities (during formally organized curricular activities) and on the way to and back from the university and the official residence. This insurance is compulsory and must be taken upon enrollment at the IRO requiring the payment of approximately 30€/student (enrollment tax and insurance costs included).

Video Center 40 Anos iscte-iul associação de estudantes clube iscte-iul loja online